Saturday, March 5, 2011

Captured Thought: Walking in the Halls

A friend of mine on Facebook wrote a question as their status about "Do people in England walk on the left side of the hallways at school?" or for that matter the sidewalks in town too.

This is not really my original thought or idea but it got me thinking. I personally cannot answer that question because I have never been out of the U.S. So, I looked it up and I found that the norm is to walk on the left side but people walk equally on both. The people also said that it is just walking against the flow when you walk on the right side of the hall or sidewalk. So even though it was not my idea or a mind boggling one at that, it was a question I pondered upon. Of course to the people in the United State we think walking on the right side is the norm and the right way of doing things so to us its weird to walk on the left. But its a bit of thinking outside the box to think about people in another countries and their norms of walking.

1 comment:

  1. Addie,
    I really enjoyed reading this post, and I think it's awesome that you and your friend are thinking about how people in other countries walk on the sidewalk. I've thought a lot about people in different countries and around the world, but that thought has never crossed my mind.
    I think that this post is challenging the status quo and thinking outside the box, just like the protesters in Egypt and throughout the Middle East. Keep hanging out with your friend and thinking like that; it's awesome!
    Sincerely,
    Kara

    ReplyDelete